The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Saturday, June 22, 2002

Okay, so it's been a while since I've posted. (Two weeks, to be exact...) But I had good reasons. Between not working on my sex course and wrenching my back taking stuff to the attic, I just never got around to it. And when I did try and post, my stupid comp crashed, thanks to Yahoo! Messenger. But since my beautiful friends Amy and Shala told me I should try updating this thing more often, here I am. (Doing stuff for women... what will I do next?)

Anyways, before I begin, MAD PROPS to the UT baseball team for winning the NCAA National Championship today by throttling South Carolina. The game was kinda iffy at times, but the boys in burnt orange pulled through. Epic game, too bad I never got around to catching any of their games this season. Though I'll probably be one of the first on my block to get the t-shirt. ;)

Okay, on to business. Two times during this past week, including tonight, I had a shot to become rich beyond my wildest dreams. If you haven't heard the Lotto jackpots here in Texas were at $50 and $70 million, respectively on Wednesday and tonight. I won neither. That's the bad news. I'm hoping the good news comes when I see that no one else won. If so, the Lotto will have its first nine-figure jackpot ever. But I approached this drawing with a bit of hesitation, and here's why...

My parents are avid lotto players. They have their favorite numbers that they play for every drawing, and they've done somewhat well at it. They've hit 4 of 6 numbers TWICE in the same drawing, and even went off for 5 of 6. Anyway, my dad keeps telling me about their plan for the jackpot if they ever get it. Included in this plan is their offer to pay me a certain share of the pot, along with payments to other family members. If they won tonight, my dad informed me that I was in for an annual payout of over $170,000. That would excite pretty much everyone with a pulse.

But not me. And here's why...

During my time at college, one of the big things that caused strife between me and the rents was money. The fact that I "needed" so much, and couldn't keep a hold of it. I freely acknowledge that fact (evidenced by my taking the option of 25 annual payments over a cash option-lump sum payment of a lotto jackpot). But the fact that they offer this money to me sends up a red flag about the future. Mainly, the matter of strings that may/may not be attached to those payments. I brought this up with my folks this afternoon, my pa stated that there would be no strings attached. But somehow, my pessimism tells me different.

If you don't know or read the Bible, you may want to look into the story of the Prodigal Son. Because I believe that is what probably would happen if this plan were to be implemented. As much as I've been wanting to get out from under my parents' roof, I figure that this plan might be my undoing. Spending all the money on booze and women and gambling, and then going to Las Vegas after that... not a pretty sight. And when the next year's check comes, I would figure that my folks would be less than enthusiastic to give me another $110 G's. (Wouldn't you?)

Anyway, in a round-about way (you'll get used to me doing this after a few posts, I swear), what I'm trying to say is that I want desperately to get out from under my parents' shadow/influence/roof/etc. Of course, there's one thing getting in the way...

SO right now, there's just one course standing between me and the sheepskin. KIN 366- Human Sexuality. I've taken the midterm already, so I am now six lessons and a final away from finishing up. These lessons that I have to do are pretty darn easy, mostly just answering straight from the text. But my infamous procrastination skills have come back to haunt me yet again. From TV to Internet to alcohol, I've always seemed to find a way to put off this work. I know (and I keep getting reminded from the rents) that this work is necessary. (Of course, these moments spent blogging could be used to do that work too, but still...)

Anyway, I think I've rambled for long enough...time to find me a party in this town. (Or at least go online and try and find one...)

P.S. Any HTML hints for me so I can clean this thing up a little, pass them along to brownboyut@hotmail.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home