The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Sunday, February 20, 2005

For some reason, I'm watching the Daytona 500 right now. (Matthew McConaughey just told all the drivers to turn on their cars.)

I've never really been much of a racing fan. I'm sure I'll probably flip to the race a few times before the day is done. But as I see all the Anglo faces come across my screen as the drivers are introduced, I wonder what can be so exciting about this thing that draws 200,000 people to Florida. Seems like it's more of the equipment holding up, or just sheer luck, rather than skill or athletic talent that determines who wins this thing. Step on gas, turn left, repeat a few hundred times until you win or crash.

Maybe someone out there can tell me what the big deal is. I figure if I were ever to be a race fan, it'd be for the Indy Racing League. (and not even because of the drivers, if you know what I mean...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home