The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Alright, so I don't do much reality blogging, but here's where I make the exception.

I don't watch The Bachelorette, nor do I pretend to. (My two cents: if the girl is REALLY "America's most beloved bachelorette," as I seem to recall a promo saying, why the hell is she single?) But that's not the main target of my rant.

That honor goes to Jason Illian. You may remember him as the "virgin" from the show. Well, he writes about his experience here. I came upon it tonight, and thought it would just be another little essay on how Christians should "save themselves." Turns out I was wrong...

"Now, you are probably wondering why a Christian man would go on a show like The Bachelorette to find love. Good question … but the wrong one. I didn’t go on television to FIND love—I went on television to SHOW love."

Um, okay. Plenty of people do that: televangelists, Mr. Rogers, Oprah... Going on a reality show to evangelize? That's weak. True, there have been others that have done it, most notably Jason from Big Brother 3. He actually LIVED the walk, so to speak. Showing off while trying to "marry" a "beautiful" girl? Please. Looking at his screen credits at the bottom of the article, makes me wonder who he's trying to glorify more: God or himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home