The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Friday, January 21, 2005

Did you do the reading from earlier?

I must say, it's great that sports and academia aren't mutually exclusive (despite what some may have you think). Though I would add one more corrolary that the author missed.

Teamwork.

One of the things the NFL sells most is the aspect of teamwork. A group of 50 or so men, working together, to accomplish what they could not do individually. Look at the playoffs so far: Vikings beat Brett Farve and a bunch of other guys, then the Eagles beat Randy Moss, Dante Culpepper, and a bunch of other guys. (If this means Donovan F. McNabb tries to put the team on his back and loses, I'll look like a freakin' genius.) Now, what that translates into with respects to the larger American society, I'll leave to my reader(s). Personally, I would say either family groups, or larger gender, racial or socioeconomic groups. Ideally, all members of each "team" would work together to enhance their standings. (Of course, how trades work with this paradigm remains to be seen...)

Okay, discuss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home