The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Since Pico did his already, time for...

GREG'S YEAR IN REVIEW

January:
Ran into my ex downtown while ringing in 2006. Made some resolutions. Celebrated a national championship in Austin with a few thousand of my closest friends. Woke up the next day and drove two hours to go to work with a hangover. Went back to Austin for a big rally, wherein I witnessed thousands of people yell and cheer upon the entrance of a steer. (I love this state.) Made "The Chronicles of Narnia" a date movie.

February:
Had a surprise Valentine's date (she would forget about this date months later). Saw my alma mater make news again, this time with a suspected ricin attack in a dorm laundry room. I do the only logical thing and go to Austin for the weekend.

March:
Give up sex and beer for Lent. Had another run-in with the ex. Got pre-approved for a mortgage. Saw a condo I kinda liked. Put in an offer. Had offer accepted. Began messing around with a Mormon girl. Tried out for "Jeopardy!" in the comfort of home.

April:
V quotes the wisdom of Diego from "Ice Age: The Meltdown" in order to save me from myself. Served my civic duty as a (potential) juror in a sexual assault case. Enjoyed Fiesta.

May:
Celebrate my 400th blog post. Raise money for cancer research by walking (and injuring my ankle). Turn 28. Close on the condo. Move. Talk with the ex.

June:
Hook up with a friend's friend. Get three hickeys in the process. Get a passport. Book plane tickets.

July:
Wake up on a Sunday morning in a tent in the Texas hill country, and go to sleep in a Hyatt in Alberta. Give one of my best friends a hug for the first time. Experience "Stampeding." Hike. Avoid bears. Gamble. Wear a cowboy hat. Square dance. See a friend of mine get married. See another friend's true colors at said wedding, thanks to an open bar.

August:
"Dated" a microbiologist. Went to L.A. Saw Bob Barker, Kathy Griffin, Heidi Klum, and Stockard Channing, the Pacific Ocean, my aunt, my friend, a Stephen Sondheim musical ("Into The Woods," in case you were wondering), and WAY too many billboards for "Snakes on a Plane."

September:
Started my first dating sabbatical. My dad was diagnosed with cancer.

October:
Experienced a bit of bad stuff with the whole anxiety thing. Accompanied my mom in a hospital waiting room. Ran away (literally) at the sight of my ex. (Starting to notice a theme, here?) Go to my high school reunion. Reconnect with my high school girlfriend.

November:
Began a new position at work. Saw the ugly side of the business.

December:
Company Christmas party, in which I displayed my dance moves. Found out about a crush someone had on me. Made out with said crusher.

Some real high points, and some obviously low points. All in all, I'd give this year a B+.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • aww, geez, grades? i don't do these "grades."

    my year in review took too long. did yours?

    By Blogger Norman Rose, at 1:20 PM  

  • Not too long... it's called "blogging while tired." Makes you concentrate on the important points and not get too long-winded, since sleep is the reward for finishing.

    By Blogger Greg, at 8:32 PM  

  • Reading through this, I'm all, "wow. was that really 12 months ago?"

    But when I go through my own journal, I have this heavy feeling of "Ugh. What a long, hard year of nonsense."

    Funny how the same 12 months can intersect and still feel different from different perspectives.

    Happy new year, Greg.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home