The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Day 2 of Job Search 2004: Nothing.  Just been poking around online for positions. Also dropped by the station to turn in my outprocessing forms. Saw a couple of friends working on resume tapes and what-not. I tell you, it still feels almost like a vacation for me. I don't think it's really hit me that I'm out of work.

I've been meaning to give my two cents about this post. I had asked if the good folks at Campus Crusade were hiring. CJ told me that they always, so I moseyed around their site looking for openings. (Mind you, this is back when I had a j-o-b.)

When I was looking, I found the following caveat:

Understanding of various considerations about joining our ministry.

Now, I'll be the first to say that I haven't been the best Catholic/Christian/spiritual person in the world in the last few months. Haven't gone to mass in a long while, regularly use God's name in vain, don't pray all that often, etc. But after reading those considerations for only a few seconds, I knew I would never be eligible for ANY spot there. This part really killed me:

Moral Conduct: As a ministry we must evaluate the moral character of applicants in light of the biblical standards of purity. If a person has been involved in premarital sex, at least a one-year period of sexual purity is required prior to acceptance as a Campus Crusade staff member. If extramarital sex has occurred, there must be at least a two-year period of sexual purity. A past, established lifestyle of homosexuality will most likely disqualify an applicant for staff. In cases where occurrences of homosexual activity have been limited, a minimum of three years of sexual purity is required prior to acceptance as a staff member.
 
Under these circumstances, I'd probably have to come clean (pardon the pun) about my self-abuse. Not that I'm trying to knock these guidelines; you wouldn't want a guy with a criminal record working for the police. But it almost seems a bit overboard.

Who knows? I may be applying with these folks if enough time goes by...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home