The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

What They're Saying (And What I Say About It): New Pope Edition!

Raelyn sez: "Viva il papa!"
I say: Hey, congrats to the guy, but at age 78, I doubt he'll be "viva"ing much longer. It's always bad when one papal death watch starts and another one begins.

Rick Brookhiser sez: "Benedict XVI is 78 years old. Absent a miracle, that argues for a caretaker, a solidifier, perhaps a transitional figure. If he is lucky, Calvin Coolidge. If he is unlucky, Martin Van Buren."
I say: If I knew my history, I'd know what the hell he was talking about. Seriously, I have the same question a Mennonnite (sp?) gal at the office had yesterday: why get a "transitional" Pope?

Andrew Sullivan sez: "And so the Catholic church accelerates its turn toward authoritarianism, hostility to modernity, assertion of papal supremacy and quashing of internal debate and dissent. We are back to the nineteenth century."
I say: Whoa, whoa, whoa... let's not go that far. Why not shore up the "loose ends" when you have the chance?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home