The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Sunday, September 03, 2006

COMPANIONSHIP

From an e-mail sent a couple of weeks ago that answers a question posed here...

FROM: Greg
TO: profgrrrrl
Date: Aug 20, 2006 9:00 PM
Subject: RE:Well ... have you tried to kiss her yet?

I did. And that's where things get interesting.

First off, some background. She's a 30-year-old microbiologist. We metat a downtown bar. She was at a wedding earlier, I was at another bar earlier. I was out to celebrate my friend V's birthday (she came into SA for the occasion). Being a good wingwoman, V asked themicrobiologist (also named V) if she was "single and on the prowl." She said yes, and I ended up with her phone number.

We've been out three times since then. The first time, meeting up at a beer joint, followed by joining her friend's birthday party at a posh Italian restaurant and dancing at a newly opened club. The second time, meeting up at another beer bar, then joining her friends for some two-steppin'. The other night, meeting up at a nice restaurant, then going to a jazz club to listen to a pretty good quartet.

Thursday night, I barely got up the nerve to hold her hand. I don't know about you, but I suck at reading people and their vibes. Almost like I need some sort of vibe radar. (Yes, it does sound funny when said fast, but stay with me here...)

At the end of it all, after I walked her to her car, I gave her a hug, then tried to kiss her. I ended up kissing her right cheek. From this, I get the feeling (or am jumping to a conclusion) that she likes me as a friend. Which is fine, I suppose, but I figure I have enough friends. (55 on myspace, at last count.)

I hung out with another gal for most of the day today, but I get the feeling she has the same platonic vibe as well (the Dane she met in England over the summer probably doesn't help my cause much). Not thatI'm trying to put pressure for any of these women to be my girlfriend (I believe I was warned about that in a previous blog post), but I'm just trying to find some way to effectively communicate that I'm interested in them being more than just friends.

Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to get my thoughts out of my head. This may show up on the blog soon...

Your Friendly Neighborhood Brown Boy,
Greg

2 Comments:

  • I gotta say, sometimes I'm glad I'm not a guy. I mean, I could lean in for a kiss if I wanted to, but I'm not necessarily expected to initiate such things.

    THinking of it all in reverse, some dates I just know want to kiss me, but others have been a great mystery. I mean, I can think of folks who gave the neutral vibe for a long time and then tried for quite the kiss in the end (not just a polite or obligatory one).

    Good luck!

    By Blogger ~profgrrrrl~, at 9:53 AM  

  • I'm sorry, I need to ask something here. Have you tried telling these women that you're interested in being "more than just friends" with them? Nothing clears the air faster and gets everyone on the same page better than simply vocalizing. No, it's not easy, but neither is a relationship, is it? She's probably not trying to throw out some "vibe" to you, she's probably waiting for you to say something.

    Good luck -- it's not easy, but you're totally capable of doing it!

    By Blogger Sandra Vahtel, at 3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home