The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Sunday, February 23, 2003

this past saturday, i was smacked in the face with every woman's ultimate dilemma.

we all want to be treated properly by men. unfortunately, at my age, there are a select group of men who will in fact treat you properly.

and even more unfortunately, they are dorks.


Even more proof of my status in the dating world.

So life at News 9 officially started for me last Monday. It was mostly a "getting to know you" period: filling out HR forms, meeting everyone from the other departments, learning rules and regulations, etc. We were treated to a lot of cool stuff, including a bus tour around the city, a visit by the current and former mayor of San Antonio, as well as four catered lunches/dinners.

The official training (when we actually get our hands dirty in all the technical stuff) begins Monday. Apparently, the equipment that we'll be using is so high-tech that it's only being used by a select number of news outfits (the major networks and the BBC, to drop just a few names). I just hope I can pick up this stuff quickly enough. During our intro to the equipment, everyone else in my department (all but one person having previous TV experience) started dropping all these terms that I had never heard before (downstream, SOT, etc.).

As far as the people at the station, they're pretty cool. My earlier thoughts about being the youngest person there were pretty much accurate, everyone in my group is between 27-35 years of age. Sarcasm is the preferred language of most of the people there, which means I'll get along just fine. (One other bouns: apparently there are more Longhorns than there are Aggies at the station.) One thought has been floating around my mind, though. It may just be paranoia on my part, but I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm irking my fellow MCOs just a little. I've been in the bad habit of trying to make a joke/sarcastic comment every single chance I can get. Of course, this only results in either: A) pissing people off, or B) being known just as "the funny guy." But it's probably too soon to tell, so I figure this will change in the coming weeks.

So far, a decent start to my first real job. I just hope I can keep it up.

(BTW, to those folks who've dropped comments from News 9, come and introduce yourself if you get the chance...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home