The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Well, we found a place. My future roommate and I will be signing a lease on Thursday for a lovely 2/1 in central S.A. Who knows when the housewarming party will be, but it will be big. :)

Work's been... work. A little improvement to my schedule comes this week (after working 8 days in a row, not that I'm bitter). I'll now get Thursdays and Fridays off. Now, hopefully, I'll get off on Thursdays and Fridays... ;)

Sunday saw an interesting occurence. A friend of mine from the station had mentioned that she and her husband attends a Sunday afternoon mass since she works Sunday mornings like me. I'd asked about going with them (the church I go to suspended their Sunday afternoon masses for the summer, though I heard that they'll be back on starting this week). I finally was able to go to the 6 pm mass with them yesterday, but I was in for a ride. First off, it's a Latin mass. Everything (save for readings, homily and announcements) was in Latin. Thankfully, they had guides to follow along with. Secondly, this church (compared to the one I usually attend) was real ornate. It's like as if you've eaten at Chili's and thought it to be nice dining, and suddenly finding yourself at Morton's or some other fancy-shmancy eating establishment. Not only that, the mood of the place had a lot more formal feel to it than my usual parish. Don't get me wrong, I can see how that could be beneficial; it's just a bit jarring when you've hardly ever experienced it. (If you're curious, here's their website. I should have known it was different from the Flash intro...) The homily was somewhat different, too. The priest spoke of using reason without faith to guide oneself in the world, and how that wasn't good for Catholics. I sat there thinking that faith without reason might be just as bad. I got the feeling that Mel Gibson's movie about Jesus' death would play well there. I imagine that Rae would enjoy this place.

All in all, it was an interesting experience. Still not sure what to make of it all. I mean, I appreciate my friend inviting me out there and allowing me to share this with her and her hubby. But after it all, as I was leaving, I remember sitting in my car and trying to get a hold of it all. It was almost like my first time. Getting excited about it before hand, feeling confused during it, and wondering what happened afterwards. Only there weren't as many people around...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home