The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Monday, September 13, 2004

First off, feliz cumpleanos to everyone's favorite Ph.D. candidate. Kristi turned 24 on Friday.

Of course, reading that began some inevitable scoreboard-watching...
Kristi: Grad student, world traveler, sickeningly in love, and 24.
Quentin Griffin: Longhorn killer, star running back, sick fantasy numbers, and 23.
The Olsen twins: Stars of bad movies, co-owners of their own production company, multi-millionaires, and 18.
Me: Got my B.A. by the skin of my teeth, unemployed, and 26.

Now, no hatred toward any of the above combatants (except maybe Griffin, he did go to OU), but I look at where I am now and am almost disgusted with what happened. Granted, most of my situation is my doing. If I had maybe gave more than a passing interest to schoolwork, I'd have graduated in 2000 with an engineering degree and quite possibly be working for some big soul-less tech company. (Of course, I may have still been laid off if that happened, but that's besides the point...)

Another thing that brought up this bout of introspection was an article that was in the latest issue of a men's health magazine. (The article isn't online yet, so you'll have to drop $4 to see what I mean.) Written by "The Girl Next Door, " Nicole Beland talks about how today's women are empowered, and don't necessarily need a man, unless he can keep up. And this scares the bejeezus out of me.

I think I'll blog about the article in a more in-depth manner later, but suffice to say, I've got a LOT of catching up to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home