The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

DATELINE: Exec. Business Center

About 90 minutes ago, I left the Calgary Stampede for the last time. I also said goodbye to Raelyn and Kent.

I was dreading this day as I'm not very good at saying goodbye (even though, as a military brat, you have a lot of practice doing it). I had imagine this big dramatic speech that I would give to the both of them, a la the finale of a reality show. It ended up being a simple handshake and a "take care of my friend" to Kent, and a couple of long hugs with Rae.

I leave Calgary tomorrow afternoon. I'll be heading to the airport solo then, which was the reason behind the farewell at the C-Train platform (they were heading south, I was going north).

I'll have a lot of great memories from this trip, not the least of which is actually seeing Raelyn in the flesh. We did have a good talk yesterday when it was just the two of us walking in the park. (Conversations always seem so much better when ASCII isn't involved...)

This woman holds a very special place in my heart, and the past few days just cemented it. I was also glad to see how good of a man she has in Kent. I jokingly told her yesterday that he has my approval.

Tomorrow, I'm off on a jet plane back to Minneapolis and then onward to Houston. I'll be staying at V's parents' house tomorrow night, then head back to S.A. to recuperate.

I'm starting to think that one of the reasons people travel is for the life-changing experiences. I can honestly say that I won't be the same person I was when I left S.A. on Sunday. (And, to be honest, I'm not sure I want to be... more on that when I get back.)

Raelyn and Kent, thanks so much for the great time. Enjoy the t-shirts and beer, and I hope to repay the favor if you ever make it to Texas.

1 Comments:

  • Have a safe trip, Greg. We'll see you again soon.

    Always,

    ~ R

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home