The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Alright, time to answer some questions while I'm still coherent...

1. What do you think is the biggest tension between Catholicism and mid-20's culture, and how do you deal with it?

Kind of funny, seeing as how I'm helping to run a lecture series starting tomorrow aimed at "young adults" (18-30s). Personally, I believe it's the difference between the timeless/antiquated beliefs of the Church, and how they collide with the beliefs of the average American twentysomething. "Why can't women be priests?" and "Why can't I have sex or live with someone before marrige?" seem to be the most popular questions/protests I hear from the demographic. I think the Church can do a better job of addressing the needs of the group, as well as addressing the questions that people like me want answers to. At my church, our youth group was a great place for me to develop my faith during high school. I doubt I'd be the person I was today if not for the opportunities I had there. Since then, (and since college) I've found myself wanting. The young adults group we have is a start, but more can be done. What exactly that is, I don't know.

2. If one place in the US had to be wiped off of the map (City-sized area), what place should it be?

Northern Kentucky. Long story.

3. What irrational fear do you have?

Death. I mean, most people fear it in general, but I do it a lot more often than I should. Also, I have a bad fear of heights.

4. What do you think (if you think about this) about US/ Mexican history w/r/t the southwest and San Antonio?

Seeing how where I'm sitting WAS Mexico at one point in time, history has a lot to do with how the city sells itself now. No less than five different missions (The Alamo being one of them) are historical landmarks here. (Sadly, most, if not all of them, are located within a stone's throw of a fast food joint, but that's another story.) My great-grandfather (Grandpa Nacho) came over here in the 1900s.

People here see Mexico now as kind of a needed irritant. Some people talk about the evils of illegal immigration, but the housing boom that has gone on in the north and west parts of town probably wouldn't happen if not for brown people in pickup trucks. Well-to-do Mexicans (yes, they do exist) come here during Easter to drop lots of cash in the two high-end malls here, but act like jackasses in the process. I know, I've had to deal with them back when I was selling computers. (Apparently, no one believes in the concept of "price tags.")

5. Favorite ice cream flavor. (answered before #4)

Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • #1 and #4 are really interesting, thanks. I always think that one thing people never think of is that there can be gradations of sin-- making whoopee with a young lady out of wedlock can't possibly be as bad as shooting someone just to watch them die, can it? I'd like t think that my God will take in my body of work and service and make the afterlife determinations from there, and I'm trying to live as well as I can, knowing that I sin a little daily. Anyway.

    One day I will go to Mexico to eat with the well-t-do Mexicans. I hear their food is the bomb and it also stands to reason that they're cocknoxious. Maybe it's an attempt to differentiate themselves from the lower class people who are crossing the border, etc? There is some class strife amongst Africans in NYC and Jamaicans also, especially betweenb those rich enough to visit or travel and those living in tenements...

    -pico

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 AM  

  • Your new 5 questions:
    1. What is your process for approaching serious life decisions?
    2. Do you plan what you'll eat for dinner in advance?
    3. Why did you start blogging?
    4. Would you marry someone who did not share your faith?
    5. What time of day do you like the most?

    By Blogger ~profgrrrrl~, at 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home