The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

This morning, I was so ready to rant on this blog. I counted out the number of times I was going to use the word "fuck," I had cute phrases I was gonna use ("fuck you spending money on flowers while people go hungry"); I was ready to throw down some rage.

Then, on the way into work, my phone rang.

"Hi Greg, it's G. I'm glad I caught you, just wanted to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day."

Damnit. Even when she's nice to me, she pisses me off.

Today was a weird day. Work was okay, even though more than a few people were out. Why today and not tomorrow, I don't know. A desk neighbor of mine got flowers from her hubby, it was her anniversary today. True to guy-form, I found myself looking at them a bit longingly, almost wishing someone would get ME flowers. (Don't laugh, it's happened before.)

I've had a love/hate relationship with this day since I was in middle school. Back in college, I would send anyone and everyone I knew flowers, from across campus to across the country. Lately, I've not bought flowers for anyone in quite some time (even though I actually have money to do so now). But today was a day to observe, share in other people's happiness while trying to contain my apathy. Don't get me wrong, as much as I hate the commercialization of another Catholic feast day, I'd love to participate in bringing a smile to another's face, be it through cards, candy or flowers.

Anyway, hope everyone had an above-average Wednesday.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home