The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Sunday, July 01, 2007

I'm not sure how, but a football movie has made me think that I'm not a good Christian.

Got together with a group I'm involved with at church for our monthly meeting. Instead of our normal discussion of past and upcoming events (tubing, anyone?), we made it a blockbuster night and watched "Facing the Giants." If you're not familiar with the film, it's your typical "football-movie-meets-Sunday-School" story. (I seem to remember the film getting some extra publicity due to the movie ratings people giving it a PG rating for proselytizing, rather than for violence.)

Anyway, between the maudlin drama and the bad jokes, I got to thinking about the main character, a football coach who decides to give everything in his life over to God. His team, his marriage, his home, his car, etc. Not to give too much of the movie away, but he ends up being rewarded/blessed as the credits roll. My main thought as the movie went on (besides Mark Richt's acting skills) was how I've not been able to do that in my years as a Christian.

Going back to this post, I've been thinking my connection with God isn't what it should be, and how others seem to get it better than I can. It seems like so many other facets of my life (weight, finances, etc.), I keep expecting a change overnight, and get frustrated when nothing happens. Does this mean I need to see more bad movies? Pray more? Actually pick up and read a Bible?

Anyone?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • I would caution you to not expect that "handing your life over to God" is going to produce magically wonderful results. In fact, God might use a lot of pain to mold you into the person you're supposed to be.

    God wants your heart and for you to follow Him and to know Him -- not to use Him as a genie in a lamp to make your life better.

    So yes pray, read the Bible, and watch God change your life. But watch Him change it in ways that you're not expecting. Watch the things you crave and desire change as your heart becomes more like His.

    It's not about how "well" you are a Christian or pray, but your willingness and sincerity in following God. It might just scare the crap out of you....

    By Blogger Sandra Vahtel, at 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home