The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Wanna learn about my breakthrough? Read the following open letter...



Dear Suzanne,



Hey there, stranger. Bet you didn't expect to see me last night, eh? Obviously, I went to your church to promote the lecture series I'm helping put together. I was a bit nervous about seeing you there, but my friend C told me that she hadn't seen you the last few times she's gone, so she told me I shouldn't be worried. Of course, whose face should I see first when I walked into church but yours? Glad to see you and the hubby are still in the choir, by the way. I never even knew he played guitar...

Anyway, I tried my best to play it cool during Mass. During the sign of peace, I tried all I could to throw two fingers your way. All the other people seemed to get in the way.

I hope you weren't too weirded out by the flier I left on your car after Mass. I had thought that maybe you guys wouldn't come to the barbecue afterwards, so I figured it would be my best shot of letting you guys know about the series. Then I saw you two stroll over to the slab.

I'll admit it, I was surprised by how cool I acted in talking to you. It may have been normal conversation on the outside, but inside, the following kept going through my head:

"Ohmigod...ohmigod...ohmigod...ohmigod...ohmigod..."

Honestly, I tried to at least say hi to your spouse, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. Good to hear you're still working, though it took me a while to figure out what you were talking about doing after 2-and-a-half years. (By the way, sorry about the whole "are you pregnant?" thing. Like I told you, six friends of mine are with child; I saw a slightly protruding belly and a stretch skirt, and I drew my own conclusion. My bad.)

Anyway, hope to see you Thursday, maybe we can talk more then (if your hubby ever lets go of your hand)...

Your Friendly Neighborhood Brown Boy,
Greg

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home