The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Thursday, November 06, 2003

DATELINE:REDONDO BEACH, CA

Got in okay from Vegas last night (no thanks to CalTrans for deciding to block all but one lane of traffic on I-15 back to L.A.).

So today was supposed to be the day that I saw a taping of "The Price Is Right." I had been looking forward to this for weeks, told all my friends about it. And I ended up getting tripped up by fine print.

I woke up this morning at around 4, so I could be sure I got in (first come, first served on admission). On my way out of the hotel, I saw on the ticket that I needed two forms of identification, one being either my Social Security Card or a legal document with my SSN on it. Flash back to Sunday afternoon in San Antonio: while I'm checking that I have everything, my dad asks if I'm carrying my Social Security card. I say yes, he says I shouldn't, and tells me to give it to my mom.

A few frantic phone calls (and some swear words directed towards Cingular) later, my mom faxes a copy of the card to the hotel room. I head out on the road at around 5:45 a.m. (Audience numbers were handed out at 6.) I get to the studio at around 6:45, partly due to traffic, partly due to my getting lost. As I hit the security gate, I'm informed that they've already handed out all the numbers, and I won't be able to attend the taping.

I've been moping around somewhat ever since. I drove down Sunset Blvd. for a bit before meandering back to my hotel room for a nap. I don't want to say that this totally ruins my trip; I've gotten to see a lot of cool stuff. But it sure didn't help things any.

Anyway, I'm off to Santa Monica for some sun and to meet my friend for Thirsty Thursday with the L.A. chapter of the Texas Exes. My first alumni function; this should be interesting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home