The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Saturday, November 20, 2004

So I finished Flabbergasted last night.

And to be honest, I still don't know what to think about it.

The book follows Jay, a 20-something stock broker, who, after being transferred to Greenville, S.C., tries to meet women at a Presbyterian singles group. After a couple of meetings, he decides to go on a group-sponsored weekend trip to Mytrle Beach, which in turn sets off a very random chain of events.

The author, Ray Blackston, does a very nice job painting scenery. Many times during the book, I could clearly see the background portraits he was painting. But, as with the movie "What Dreams May Come", the picture only does so much. The story is just light enough, with enough serious moments to make the story worthwhile. One of the reviews printed on the book referred to it as a male Bridget Jones's Diary. I suppose that's somewhat accurate, only with a lot less lusting. (None, to be exact.) And that's the part that got to me a little bit. And I'll get to that soon. Now, I need to get to church myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home