The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Ever see a movie where a seemingly irrevelant sub-plot becomes foreshadowing for the entire film?

That was my day today. Allow me to tell you about it.

While doing some blog-surfing I happened upon a blogger by the name of "Profgrrrrl." She's starting a chapter-by-chapter review of the relationship book, "He's Just Not That Into You." I started reading this, solely due to all the stuff I've heard about it, and to figure out how what I might be facing in the dating world in the next few months. At first, I thought this whole thing was bogus, but ever since the author was on Oprah (so I hear), it's shot to the top of the New York Times' Bestseller List. Anyway, I thought it was just a nice aside to the day I was having: I got back safely from Austin, I was gonna hang out with G... things were looking okay.

I met her at a popular Riverwalk restaurant for dinner. She wore a classy sweater and skirt combo (her legs looked mighty nice). I gave her a professionally-wrapped gift that I got for her at Origins (a lotion and body wash combo, along with some small massagers). We talked for a little while, then she said she had a "serious question" to ask me.

I said, "Well, my insurance needs are covered, and I already have a church," trying to comically pre-empt any serious discussions of those topics, but I wasn't that lucky.

She asked me about what my thoughts were on our "relationship." I knew that I was in trouble. She went on to say that she "wasn't ready for a relationship right now." The next hour or so after that is a little blurry to me, it included a walk along the non-touristy part of the Riverwalk, talk of relationships past, bad jokes from me ("abstinence makes the heart grow fonder"), and a lot of awkwardness.

And now, the book that I mentally made fun of has slapped me right in the face with one realization (partially-developed by Suse): she's just not that into me.

Damnit.

1 Comments:

  • The book is trash. But at least she was honest with you!

    This doesn't mean she'll never be into you (depending on whether what she said was true or a convenient excuse). The main thing is that she made clear that she's not up for dating you now. That's actually a lot kinder than letting things drag on. In the damn book, the guys keep letting things drag on and the women refuse to believe it and keep either waiting or pursuing.

    As Greg would say, don't waste the pretty. Go find yourself someone more desserving. :)

    By Blogger ~profgrrrrl~, at 4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home