The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Okay, so I have more energy. Might as well explain some things...

Rented "Anchorman" and "Garden State" last night with a female friend of mine, after getting some ice cream. During the night, I learned a few things.

LESSON ONE: I need to learn when to shut the hell up sometimes.
In the course of conversation with my friend, I told her about my disdain of women who are overly girly. How it bugged me that my ex always referred to dogs as "doggies," and the weary feeling I got when I saw a Care Bear plush in the apartment of a date of mine. Of course, I said all this fully knowing that my friend has a Care Bear tat on her lower back, and is a bit of a girly-girl herself. Now, I know my chances with her were slim-to-none at that point, but I pretty much took out the "slim" part last night. I realize friends should be honest with each other, but maybe I took it a bit too far last night.

LESSON TWO: Making it a Blockbuster night is fun sometimes.
Movie review time. I remember when "Anchorman" came out in the theaters. Almost everyone at my old station was SO excited about it. A large group of people went to see it the first night, even Erick the Smart-Ass AP worked in a few lines from the film into actual news scripts. I finally saw it... and it was okay. Not great, not horrible. Just okay. A nice way to kill an hour and a half. And it was a decent appetizer for the second half of the double feature.

"Garden State": I'm not sure if this would be THE Gen-Y movie, but it's pretty close. I did find myself cracking up when there was a reference to the Wailing Wall in a scene between Zach Braff and Natalie Portman's characters. But it did give me one of those pensive feelings afterwards, which, for whatever reason, always qualifies a film as good in my book.

LESSON THREE: Church is an alright place to be.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in
green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my
soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea,
though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest
a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with
oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the
days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
-Psalm 23

I've heard the above before: at previous Masses, my ex's sorority slogan, retreat themes, etc. But I must say, it really helped me out last night. I've been having trouble again with some old issues, and hearing that definitely calmed me down. If only that hour-long feeling of peace could last beyond 6:05 on Saturday evenings...

5 Comments:

  • Couple of comments!

    As for the first, I would say the key isn't keeping your mouth shut. It's keeping an open mind even about the girls with the Care Bear at home. Because the CB may not be indicative of a girl with a scary obsession with rainbow-colored bears. It may just mean someone gave it to her and she's sentimental. And just because a girl likes makeup and shoes, doesn't mean she's not willing to climb rocks, drink beer, or play pool.

    And

    I thought Anchorman was TERRIBLE. I don't mind the stupid funny movies, but Anchorman was a whole new low. Garden State, however, I liked.

    By Blogger krisluvswool, at 6:40 AM  

  • Okay, the Care Bear at home, I can let go. The Care Bear on the small of the back? Come on now...

    Actually, I've never met the rock-climbing, beer-chugging, pool sharking Care Bear fan. If you do, pass along my info for me, will ya?

    By Blogger Greg, at 7:08 PM  

  • Ha! While I'm not a rock climber, I was known in my younger days as quite the alcohol chugger and a pool shark. And went through a phase where I was in love with the Care Bears again (for about 15 minutes).

    By Blogger krisluvswool, at 7:19 PM  

  • RE: Church being an alright place to be...

    What are you DOING to keep that feeling of peace past 6:05? You don't leave Him behind, you know... He comes with you! You have to acknowledge Him more than just that one hour you spend with Him. It takes time and practice (and perseverance, as we all know) to keep that spiritual awareness throughout or day-to-day lives.

    Do you have much experience with Catholic devotions? (Besides the Rosary, I mean... scapulars, Liturgy of the Hours, novenas, etc...) Write me about it, kay hon?

    *hugs*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:24 PM  

  • Devotions? Not too much experience. Did a novena once (with an assist from an ex). Never done the Liturgy of the Hours; 24 of them, I assume? As for scapulars... you know I'm not a surgeon!

    By Blogger Greg, at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home