The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Friday, September 23, 2005

From an email I sent yesterday...

From: (my e-mail)
To: (Raelyn's e-mail)
Subject: RE: Hurricane?
I was a wreck last night.

Back when Rita seemed to be barrelling due west, I didn't know what to do or think. Put on top of that the fact that I just watched to premiere of "Lost" (the show that I love to watch, but also puts the mortality worries that I had trouble with last year), add a nervous girlfriend, and I didn't know what to do with myself.

Work today helped. It's amazing how well dealing with other's finances (and problems with finances) takes your mind off the weather report. Even though I kept going back to the Weather Channel's website throughout the day, I felt a little bit better. My dad's words this morning ("We'll get some rain and wind, that's all") helped ease my mind as well. Even better was hearing a local weatherguy on the radio on the way home from work saying that Rita's possible landing site is drifting to the east, closer to Galveston and Houston, putting us out of the range of imminent danger (an inch of rain, Mr. Weatherman said). I felt so brave, I even volunteered to work on Saturday (when Rita was expected to visit). Of course, I do get the day off tomorrow, so I'll be drinking myself into a stupor tonight, which will REALLY take my mind off the hurricane.

Seriously, things seem to be better now. I called a friend who lived in Houston, she and her mom are here now. Her sister and her sister's boyfriend are still trying to make it here. (A trip that normally takes around 3 or so hours to finish is taking almost a day to make.)

Thanks for the letter. I'm better, though I'll be much better when this thing finally hits (wherever that is). I'd appreciate any prayers for me, my family and friends, though. Talk to you soon, Rae.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Brown Boy,
Greg

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home