The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

First things first: good luck to Kristiface as she tackles her big exams beginning tomorrow.

Okay, time to bring you up to date.

Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God. - John 3:20-21

I heard these words at Mass back on Sunday. The things I was giving up for Lent? Yeah, I've indulged a bit with each of them. But the reason the words struck so close to home was stuff that's been going on between a Mormon gal and myself. We met online, and have hung out a few times. Most recently, we've seen a couple of movies, "Ultraviolet" and "V for Vendetta." (Apparently, every futuristic movie with a female lead, I'm supposed to see with this gal...) Anyway, up until last week, we'd only hung out at night. After the films, we'd go somewhere to run the bases, if you know what I mean. (Or as many bases as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints will allow.) Last Thursday, though, changed things.

It was a rare day off for me, so I decided to see if the Mormon would like to have lunch. She said yes, and I went to pick her up. She wasn't very committal about where she wanted to dine, so long as it wasn't meat (apparently, people that have had eating disorders are like that). We ended up going to a sushi place near her apartment.

MOST. AWKWARD. LUNCH. EVER.

Take a lack of conversation, an overly spicy lobster roll that she sent back, a delay in getting another dish out to her, and her fidgetyness turning into a major distraction by drumming with chopsticks, shake well, and you have what I went through.

Thinking about that verse made me realize something: maybe we're good night-time friends, but not such great friends when the sun is out. Putting it another way, fun to hang out with and kiss, but as for anything more substantive, not so much.

more later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home