The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Blogging while getting my car's oil changed... will wonders never cease?

An interesting fork in the road has come up career-wise. A new division has opened up at my worksite, purely delaing with brokerage services, as opposed to my area that deals with brokerage, banking and retirement plans. The division has already come online (I interviewed with them a few weeks ago, but was passed over).

Thursday, a position was posted for our area, one that would be more of a supervisory/coaching role for new reps completing their on-the-job training. Out of curiosity, and wanting to show the powers that be that I'm a "go-getter," I put in for it. Yesterday, my boss told me that the new division would be opening up for internal candidates in June. of course, he told me this a few hours AFTER I submitted my app and resume for the other position.

The new division is very intriguing to me: different methods of working, different attitude, different responsibilities, a chance to develop my advice-giving and salesmanship. I've even hung out with a couple of the guys from that division, and they're good people. The co-workers that went there say that it's an improvement from where they were (a.k.a. where I am now).

The coaching position seems to have its perks as well: not answering a phone all day, bump up in pay, possibility for further advancement down the line, a chance to develop leadership skills. And now I'm wondering which road to take. My boss told me that if the coaching position doesn't happen, he'd be more than happy to recommend me for the new division (which definitely wouldn't hurt).

So what do you think? Which track would you take if you were me?

2 Comments:

  • i would think the new division would be interesting though moving up within one's own division sounds even better...

    how do you feel about what you're doing now?

    By Blogger Norman Rose, at 2:43 PM  

  • Your blog sounds like you're more interested in the new division rather than the coaching position. Am I reading this wrong? I think it's all about what you want to do and go career wise. They are 2 very different paths. What are you going to be more excited doing when you wake up in the morning? Do you enjoy and have the patience for a coaching position? Do you like Sales? As for pay, I think you could negotiate a pay raise in either position you apply for. Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide.

    By Blogger Buscador, at 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home