The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"So how was your Vegas trip?"

Allow me to answer that question in multiple parts...

FRIDAY
My usual procrastination routine hurt me yet again. Even though my flight wasn't leaving till 3:30, I was still rushing at the last minute to get stuff done before my friend took me to the airport. Even then, I wasn't able to cross everything off my list. But, when my ride came, my thoughts turned to only one thing, getting on a plane.

I don't know about you, but I still get a thrill everytime I'm on a plane that takes off. (This time, the thrill was whether or not I'd get sick from the rough movements during take-off, but no matter.) The whole notion of a piece of machinery sending 150 people or so 37,000 feet into the air is pretty remarkable to me.

Something else I've learned: traveling is all about standing in line. Lines to check in, lines to go through security, lines to get on the plane, lines to get off the plane, lines to get your bags, and (in my case) lines to get a cab. My bags and I were whisked away along I-15 to Treasure Island. After checking in and getting settled in, I headed across the street to the Fashion Show Mall, where a rehearsal dinner of sorts was happening.

There, I met up with the entire wedding party: the bride and groom, his parents, his brother, and his brother's girlfriend. As we walked in, I told my friend, the bride, that it was a good sign that we were eating here since the last wedding I went to had the reception at this same restaurant. After we all sat down and gave our drink orders, I whispered to her my thrill of acheiving the rare feat of becoming a 7th wheel. We talked about the flights in (okay), where everyone was staying (four groups, four different hotels), and the plan for tomorrow. After dinner, we decided to check out the chapel where it was going down. (I will say this, the Wynn is a very beautiful resort. One of these days, I'll actually be able to afford staying there.)

I took off back to my hotel, and ended up walking all the way to Caesar's Palace and back before turning in. I had a beginning stretch where I turned $5 into around $40 at a nickel slot (with help from a $5 contribution from a neighbor who I helped with a bonus round on his machine). By the end of the night, I think I ended up down about $60 or so. However, I couldn't concentrate on that, at least not right then; I had more important life events to deal with...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home