The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Monday, September 08, 2008

I broke down and bought Rock Band on Saturday. I blame that purchase for my lame Saturday night.

I'm hosting a game night in a couple of weeks for the church group. I figured, instead of a trivia game where I'd pwn all comers, I decided to plunk down the $150 and join the masses who are becoming "musicians." Being a drummer myself, I immediately started practicing on the set. Truth be told, some of the songs are pretty difficult (and that's just on the easy and medium settings).

On the way to the registers at the front of the store, I ran into a couple of people I knew from high school. They were in the marching band with me, and got married to each other a few years ago. We chit-chatted for a bit. They're back in town after being in Houston for a while. He's an ER doctor, she works for a large tech firm, and they have an 11-month-old son. Truth be told, I was a bit embarassed at my purchase. (Then again, I wondered what married people buy at electronics stores.) We went our separate ways, and I checked out.

A few hours later, I got a text from another ex-band geek. A guy who graduated a year or two behind me was playing in town, and she wondered if I wanted to check it out. I said yes, figuring it wouldn't be that bad of a way to spend an evening. Turns out I was wrong.

Long story short, I ended up sitting at a table full of people I didn't really know. (I did bump into one person who recognized me, but she skipped out after I got a chance to chat her up.) I only ended up staying for about three or four songs before heading back home to catch the rest of the UT game.

One of these days, I'll learn to handle myself better in social situations. Until then, I guess I can always practice my guitar skills.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home