The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Monday, September 23, 2002

So I started my latest attempt at exercising. Even though this exercise seems enjoyable, I finally started one that I've been thinking of doing for a long time.

The Jeopardy! Workout.

My folks have a treadmill set up in their room that's been collecting dust for the better part of 4 years. They cleaned all the stuff off of it because of friends visiting over the weekend (theirs, not mine). So I decided to plug it in and give this idea of mine a try. Here's how it works.

-Items needed:
-Pen
-Paper
-Television
-Treadmill

Around 4:25 or so (4:30 is when it comes on here), start getting ready. Put on your workout clothes and running shoes, and tape a piece of paper to the display of the treadmill. As soon as the "whoosh" sound at the beginning of the theme song begins, start running. (Or walking, I tried a slow pace today.) Play along with the show, marking with your pen questions you get right or wrong. (Marking columns denoting the categories may help.) If you need a breather during the commercial, go ahead. Just make sure you keep a steady pace during gameplay (and the interviews, if you want). If you really want an inspirational kick to it, tally up your score from the week. The better you do, the more "treats" you get the next week.

My stats today:
Slow walk (lowest setting on the machine) during first two rounds
Break during the commmercials
fast jog during last comm. break and Final Jeopardy
cool down during the credit roll
And a rare instance, I got more correct questions in Double Jeopardy (16) than in regular Jeopardy (13). Add a correct response to the Final Jeopardy clue, and you have a 49% clip. Not to mention a decent sweat.

Here's hoping I can keep this up for more than a few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home