The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Friday, September 06, 2002

Alrighty, time to piss off yet another Internet acquaintance.

Allow me to introduce you to Teri. You may remember me mentioning about her being a closet "American Idol" fan. Well, we actually had our first chat the other night. And it was pretty nice. We learned about each other, she laughed at my jokes... not too shabby.

Anyways, first an admission, then a rant. During the usual introductory chat ("What are you into," etc.), she told me some stuff that I kinda figured, knowing that she's an Art/English double major. Basically, I ascribed to her the characteristics of every "right-brain" major at UT: coffee addict, lover of 80's music, apathy towards all things Longhorn and burnt orange. Then she made what was , in my mind, a somewhat surprising admission: she actually goes clubbing. Now, obviously clubbing at age 19 is VERY different than clubbing at age 24 (thank GOD!). But the fact that she enjoys shakin' her groove thang on a floor with strangers was somewhat of a curveball for me. Now, why that is, I don't know. There's things about me that strike people that don't know me well as odd (like the fact that I can actually read). I know that in the world after 9/11, we're all supposed to learn to be less judgemental and willing to see the true colors of people. Guess I still have a ways to go in that respect.

Now that that Mr. Rogers moment has passed, onto another observation. It'll help if you read one of Teri's old entries first.

Now, this sort of attitude completely boggles me. Now, admittedly, I am one of those with the medical condition known as "bleeding orange." Those with attitudes like Teri's are probably just reacting to all those like me that walk the 40 Acres. (And I would say that there are many...) But I say, if you're going to attend an institution like the University of Texas, you kinda know what you're in for.

This is not to chastise her for her school choice, but rather a request for her to give things a chance. One of the big reasons that I have such a love for the place is that I tried my darndest to take in as many different aspects of the school as I could. I was put under a spell by a comic hypnotist and by several cute TA's. I shared special moments with groups as small as 8, and as large as 80,000. I've been pissed off, pissed on, and pissed around. I learned swing dancing, salsa dancing, differential equations, C++, the rule of thirds, the 180-degree rule, Catholicism, Islam... I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you say you love something/someone, you should love ALL of that thing or person, not just the parts that you most like. You hold every single aspect of the object of your affection, and you inhale it like Bill Clinton's bong. If you don't like some things, tough. The best relationships (so I hear) come from dealing with those things that you dislike.

I know, do as I say, not as I do. But I know that if she would give this school spirit thing a chance, she just might like it.

(Then again, I am fighting a hangover from last night, so this could all be just nonsense, which I suppose it's a good chance that it is... but oh well...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home