The First Day of the Rest of My Life

Saturday, April 21, 2007

DATELINE: GUEST BEDROOM

I'd like to think that there were other external factors that contributed to lack of enjoyment from last night, that bad muic from the jukebox or irate hockey fans caused the night to not go as well as I would have liked. But you know what they say, when you point a finger, you have three pointing back at you.

Things started on an up note. G and I met 3 people at a nearby bar, two of whom I met the other night at dinner. They were nice, not really pretentious, just good people who made decent conversation. Then the Memphis contingent showed up, consisting of G's man and a married couple who are friends of his. I "inadvertently" turned my head away when he came to the table; I'm still not sure why. (Though I could hazard a couple of guesses...) After a few minutes, Shy Greg decided to show up, owing to a bit of intimidation from sitting with a table full of Ph.Ds. They were talking about "high" subjects, I remember making a "Deal or No Deal" reference before returning my attention to my Shiner.

After an hour or so of this, I decided to try an experiment to see if I could duplicate the enjoyment from last weekend. I either used the wrong drink or just didn't see any drunk girls worth chatting up, because it didn't happen. My saving grace was when the darts showed up, at least I had SOMETHING to take my mind off the bad night. (It also helped that, even after about three years or so of not playing, I can still throw a mean game of Cricket.)

Towards the end, G asked repeatedly if I was okay. I tried my best to say that I was, but I guess my acting skills just aren't up to snuff for that kind of thing. The three of us returned to G's place for a nightcap (amaretto sour for G's man, tap water for me).

A new day brings new hope that I can turn this around. Or, at the very least, a chance to see some good hip-hop. Wish me luck...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home